The basic kit consists of a long sleeve, heavy-duty cotton shirt with reinforced collar. Until recently no padding was worn by players but, in recent years, protective, padded head and shoulder gear has become more popular.
Length in line: 280 - 300 mm
Circumference (end to end): 760 - 790 mm
Circumference (in width): 580 - 620 mm
400-440 grams in weight
Studs of players' boots must be circular; and securely fastened to the sole of the boot.
Studs of players' boots must have the following dimensions:
- Not longer than 18 mm, measured from the sole; a minimum diameter of 10 mm at the top of the stud;
- a minimum diameter of 13 mm at the base of the stud (excluding the washer);
- and a minimum diameter of 20 mm at the base where the stud integrates with the washer.
Moulded rubber multi-studded soles are acceptable provided they have no sharp edges or ridges.
Banned items of clothing
- A player must not wear any item that is contaminated by blood.
- A player must not wear any item that is sharp or abrasive.
- A player must not wear any items containing buckles, clips, rings, hinges, zippers, screws, bolts or rigid material or projection not otherwise permitted under this law.
- A player must not wear jewellery such as rings or earrings.
- A player must not wear gloves.
- A player must not wear shorts with padding sewn into them.
- A player must not wear any item of which any part is thicker than 0.5 cm when uncompressed or is denser than 45 kilograms per cubic metre unless specified within this law.
- A player must not wear any item that is normally permitted by law, but, in the referee's opinion that is liable to cause injury to a player.
- A player must not wear a single stud at the toe of the boot.