Count yourself in
For 11 spectacular days, athletes from 72 nations will come to Manchester and compete before a world-wide television audience of over one billion people.
Volunteers lie at the heart of any event and the XVII Commonwealth Games is no exception. As a volunteer you will be the face of the Games to the media and to the world. Almost certainly, the first person a visitor or athlete comes into contact with will be a volunteer.
Since we launched the Volunteer Programme in May 2001, we have received an overwhelming response. The message that it is indeed a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity has been heard by many thousands of committed individuals.
According to our current operating plans, we will more than meet the number of volunteers required in most Manchester Venues.
However, positions are still available in the National Shooting Centre in Bisley (Surrey) and for the Opening and Closing ceremonies.
If you are interested in volunteering for the National Shooting Centre you can enquire here directly.
For further information see our remaining opportunities, or you can call the volunteer hotline on 0870 241 7374 to get more information.
1.1 Volunteer Requirements
To be a volunteer, you should be:
- 16 years of age by 1 December 2001;
- Willing to work a minimum of 10 days in the two week run-up to the Games and Games time itself (each working day will be 8–10 hours long);
- Willing to attend interview and training sessions (usually held in the evening and at weekends);
- Able to pass a security background check;
- Proud to wear the official Games uniform;
- Within daily travelling distance of Manchester;
- Willing to adhere to policies and procedures set by Manchester 2002; and
- A committed team player with a positive attitude and a desire to have fun!
M2002 reserve the right to verify any details given on a volunteer’s application form.
- Only complete one application for each volunteer. You will receive an acknowledgement of your submitted application form;
- It will be extremely difficult to process your application form if it is incomplete. Please review your completed form prior to submitting. The Equal Opportunities Monitoring section of the form is optional; and
- If you have any queries please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
1.2 Once you have submitted your form, you will see a message stating that your application form has been successfully transmitted. In approximately six to eight weeks, our staff will contact you to schedule an interview in the Volunteer Centre in Manchester city centre.
1.3 Thank you for your interest in becoming a Commonwealth Games Volunteer. We appreciate your effort in completing this application form and look forward to meeting you.