|The industrial might that made Manchester great is strongly captured in the magnificent arch that formed the roof of the one-time Central Station, now known as G-MEX - the Greater Manchester Exhibition and Event Centre.
Today, the immense railway arch still dominates the northern approach to Manchester. No longer echoing with the shrill whistles and impatient hissing of the great passenger and goods locomotives of a bygone age, the G-MEX is now a first class venue for sporting and cultural activities and one of the country's most central and accessible exhibition centres. Capable of hosting anything from an Oasis pop concert to the World Table Tennis Championships to major art exhibitions, the G-MEX will be the venue for gymnastics, judo and wrestling with seating capacity for up to 6,000 spectators during Games time.
Detailed public information
The G-MEX Centre
Manchester M2 3GX
Nearest Metrolink stop
St Peter's Square (note: do not use G-MEX stop as access will be severely restricted)
Nearest railway station
Manchester Oxford Road (note: do not use Deansgate station as access will be severely restricted)
Travelling here from Manchester Piccadilly Gardens:
Buses: 33, 63, 84, 252, 255
Travelling from here to Manchester Piccadilly Gardens:
Trams to Manchester or Bury, get on tram at St Peter's Square Stop
Buses: 33, 63, 84, 252, 255
Taxi rank outside at Windmill Street
Catering outlet payment methods
Standard venue hours for every Commonwealth Games venue are to open 60 minutes before each session and close 30 minutes after the session
Session 1: Door Open 13:00, Comp start 14:00, Comp end 16:30, Door close 16:45.
Session 2: Door Open 17:15, Comp start 18:00, Comp end 20:00, Door close 20:30.
Session 1: Door Open 10:00, Comp start 11:00, Comp end 14:00, Door close 14:15.
Session 2: Door Open 14:30, Comp start 15:00, Comp end 18:00, Door close 18:30.
Food and drink are available from concessions. A bar is available
Available nearby at Watson Street
General venue rules
- No glass bottles or cans may be brought into the venue
- No alcoholic beverages may be brought into the venue although they may be purchased from the bar within the venue
- Smoking is permitted only in designated areas
- Children under the age of two will be admitted free provided they do not occupy a seat
- Flash photography is not permitted during gymnastics sessions
- Plan to arrive one hour hour before the start of the session
Services for disabled spectators
Tickets for disabled spectators may be purchased by telephoning 0870 162 2002 or visiting the website ticketing section
- Wheelchair spaces (each available with one accompanying companion seat) are priced in the lowest price band
- Guide dogs are permitted in all areas
- Disabled patrons may enter through the main entrance to the venue
- There are no steps to climb before entering the venue
- There are no steps to climb after entering the venue
- There are accessible toilets